25 Curious Facts About Michela
Hi, I’m Michela, the solo traveller, editor in chief and publisher of Rocky Travel, the leading travel site for the Solo Traveller to Australia, and Italy, my home country.
I’m also the owner of Magic Fifty, featuring my life and mindset coaching services.
Here are some curious facts about me if you don’t know them.
- I was born and bred in Italy 58 years ago, but soon after college, I became an ex-pat and lived in Austria, the UK, Germany and Spain.
- I’m a baby boomer at birth, but I feel and look younger!
- I love languages and foreign cultures. I speak and write fluently in 4 languages: Italian, German, English and Spanish.
- I have a love-and-hate relationship with my home country, Italy.
- My first overseas solo trip was in 1993 to New York. I have fantastic memories of that trip and a fun thing: I got drunk while waiting for my table at the Hard Rock Cafè. LOL
- On my Australian Solo Trips, I have spent 125 weeks over 17 years and ten long-term trips, totalling +110 thousand kilometres around the country.
- I love all-around modern art. When visiting a new city, I first look up modern art museums or galleries and check them out.
- Oh, I also love painting and have done some excellent work. A big regret is not being consistent with this.
- I’m a keen (and fast) walker. I love walking in the city and the great outdoors.
- I love hiking. The Dolomites near home are my happy place. I don’t climb, though.
- I haven’t owned a car for nearly 16 years now. Giving up a car was a big success and a step towards a more environmental-friendly and minimalistic lifestyle.
- I don’t also have a TV at home. I gave it up in 1997 and never missed it.
- I have a love-and-hate affair with blogging.
- I love reading, from magazines to books to web pages; I average read for 1-2 hours daily.
- I’ve been a pescatarian for five years (I don’t eat meat).
- At 15, I started to play the drums but gave up. Later on, I tried a few more instruments with no success. My biggest regret is not mastering any instrument.
- I love almost any kind of music and spent many years of my youth with many musicians and bands.
- Taekwondo is my favourite martial art, which I started learning 20 years ago. I’ve passed the first two belts; I’m a yellow belt.
- I suffer from a fear of heights. I almost got completely rid of it with the help of self-healing training and a canyoning adventure, and a zip-lining in the forest. But still, get my hurt pumping like crazy on a suspension bridge.
- I love almost any sport, from tennis to golf, to car racing. But I’m not too fond of extreme sports.
- Favourite drinks all day long: Pure Water. To wake up: Black Tea. With a meal: Beer. To celebrate Prosecco or Champagne.
- Favourite Cuisines: Italian and Thai.
Favourite Food: wooden oven-fired Pizza Napoletana and Pasta Della Norma (Sicilian). Tiramisu.
Wine: Gewürztraminer and Prosecco.
- Favourite Countries: Italy, Spain, Germany.
- Favourite Language: German.
- Favourite Country to Travel Solo: Australia, followed by Italy, Spain, and Thailand.
What travel means to me
Travel means more than just holidaying. Travel is a fundamental part of my development process. It contributes to enriching my life, both spiritually and mentally and physically. Moreover, it allows me to learn more about myself and others.
First and foremost, travel means freedom to me. I cannot think of living without travelling when I start getting itchy feet and pack my bag and go.
On this page, you can read more about my unique solo travel adventures in Australia.
Life is full of challenges and surprises!
I have learned much in 12 years of blogging and experienced many new places and environments. While I met wonderful people on my solo trips, I faced challenges. Nonetheless, I am thankful I went on this path despite all odds.
How to join My Rocky Travel Tours
first published in 2010, updated in Jan 2023.